As with similar Twitter chats, this will be an hour-long discussion about issues and questions related to pre-medical education as well as medical school and clinical practice every week. The day and time will be Wednesdays at 9 PM EST.
Here are some ground rules:
1. At the beginning of the chat, please introduce yourself, and tell us a little about yourself. Remember, the people who are there one night may not be there the next!
Ex. Saroj, pre-med, neuroscience enthusiast, Indian cooking maven.
2. Topics will be decided before each chat, but will likely branch out to other topics as the chat progresses. Bring your chosen topics and questions to the table. If they aren’t discussed one night, all efforts will be made to incorporate it into subsequent chats.
3. Be respectful and courteous to the other participants. Your online persona should be one that you wouldn’t mind showing to adcoms and employers down the road.
4. HIPAA does not disappear when you move from the classroom or clinic to the computer. Keep your tweets HIPAA-compliant. If you don’t know what HIPAA is, ask one of us. One of the later chats will likely cover HIPAA as well.
5. While you may have a great book or MCAT prep class, do NOT advertise on the #premeded chat.
6. If you can’t make one of the chats, don’t worry! We know all too well that pre-med schedules can be hectic (and usually are). You can access the transcripts either on our Twitter page (@Premeded) or Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/premeded).
Looking forward to chatting with all of you!
I realized that some of you who are joining the Twitter chat may be new to Twitter, so here are some basics that may help:
1. To participate in the chat, just write your tweet and include #premeded somewhere in the tweet so that it gets included in the conversation.
Ex. Organic chemistry is so cool. #premeded.
2. To respond to someone, type “@” followed by the Twitter handle of the person to whom you are responding.
Ex. sospokesaroj: No, neuroscience is far cooler. #premeded
premedstudent: @sospokesaroj In what universe? #premeded
3. To follow what others are saying in the conversation, you can either:
a) Go to twitter.com, click on “#discover”, and search for “premeded”. All tweets in the conversation should show up in real-time.
b) Use your Twitter client to set up a separate area to view all tweets with the #premeded hashtag. In Tweetdeck, just clicking on the hashtag sets up a new column automatically.
If you have any other questions about how to participate in the chat, don’t be afraid to ask!